Stay up to date with all my catches along the False Bay coast and the Overberg area!
Recreational Fishing in and around Cape Town has always been a popular past time. Many fishermen’s journeys are more than likely to end up in Cape Town. There are excellent fishing spots in a number of places depending on whether you are looking for Big Game Fishing or something more along the lines of rock and surf fishing. Cape Town offers both saltwater and freshwater fishing options, raging sea fishing or quiet rivers, streams and trout fishing in dams.
For more information on the actual fish species, see our full guide on different fish that you are likely to catch in and around Cape Town.
The best fishing spots that are closest to Cape Town…
– In and around False Bay and the Cape Peninsula where you are likely to catch Cob, Steenbras, Shad, Galjoen to name a few
– At Broken Road, Strandfontein, you are likely to catch almost every species the Cape has to offer from edibles, sharks and even various sting ray species.
– Macassar Beach is a well-known fishing spot which has produced some of the record catches here in Cape Town also offering you the majority of the species available here. In the winter season you can catch White Steenbras, White Stumpnose & Galjoen along the coast
– Melkbosstrand is only about 30km from Cape Town and is an excellent spot for recreational fishing where you will find Steenbras, Kob and Blacktail.
– Langebaan fishing trips can be arranged where one can enjoy lagoon fishing and ski-boat fishing which is a great option for those wanting Black Marlin and the rare Broadbill which are also found here occasionally.
– The Overberg area which is all along the East Coast, from 100km to 300km out of Cape Town probably has the best fishing destinations in the Western Cape with famous areas like Arniston, Struisbaai, Uilkraal, Die Dam and Witsands. In these areas you will experience exciting off-roading where most spots are only accessible with a 4×4 to camping on the beach without having anyone bothering you. A destination I would highly recommend to any angler wanting to get the full experience of fishing in the Western Cape.